Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Is there a reason for suffering?

Muscles in your body only become stronger when they are worked to their limit. The body notices the work they're doing, and it expects them to need to work even harder, so it routes extra resources to them to get larger and stronger. All this muscle work puts a tremendous stress on your bones, which actually respond by becoming more dense and less resistant to fracture and breaking.

If you stop working your muscles, they become weaker and eventually will atrophy. And they'll probably be replaced by fat that will conveniently mold itself to the shape of your couch. People who routinely make their bodies burn with the satisfying struggle and pain of rigorous exercise will ultimately be stronger, have more energy, and have more confidence. Those who avoid all that discomfort and effort will generally become softer in more than just their midsection. The same analogy can be used for the brain – either constantly stretch the wits of your mind by reading and learning and creating, or turn on Super Nanny every day and let your brain turn to oatmeal.

Look at people who are handed everything their entire lives, like those who are born into vast wealth, or even children who are never disciplined by their parents and get whatever they whine for. They're generally pretty miserable people to be around. They could have anything they want right this moment, but they wouldn't appreciate any of it, because they've never had to work for anything. They've never experienced struggle as the means of achieving a goal.

When you begin life as an infant, you've never experienced any trials or struggles, and you are completely vulnerable. That's called innocence. As you get older, if you live a life completely without suffering and tribulation, without risk and venture, and if you in fact avoid these things deliberately, you remain vulnerable. That's called lethargy.

The pain of life is inevitable. Apparently the Bible even asserts this fact plainly in its text in a few instances. If Jesus was some kumbaya-singing hippie as so often believed, he wouldn't have said "In this world, you will have trouble." I think the point is that God is NOT there to help you avoid pain. He is there to guide you through the unavoidable pain of life so that you can overcome it and become stronger. When people are undergoing a hardship, they pray that God will make the problem go away. And when the problem remains, or actually grows in ferocity, people get pissed and wonder what kind of a crappy God would let that happen. I think they have it backward, because I don't think that's his job. I think his job is to make us stronger so that we can conquer the problem on our own.

Because out of struggle always comes opportunity. Even if it's just an opportunity to learn. The agony of childbirth can sometimes be fatal, but it is the only path to a new and precious life. The heartbreak of losing a loved one will strike each and every one of us, probably many times over. But what we can learn from that pain is to cherish every second with those whom you love. Life is hard because it's supposed to be. Only when you've endured hardship can you truly appreciate rest. Only when you overcome life's difficulties can you truly experience happiness.

6 comments:

  1. A philosophical question: Why are you assuming the Christian God exists here?

    I agree that challenges can create opportunity, but I think it's a stretch to say that all struggle ALWAYS creates opportunity. Plenty of people are challenged and fail - too much adversity all at once, or too strong a challenge, or after being knocked down over and over, people decide their opportunity just isn't worth it. They don't get up and try again, and they may regret their choices forever. Are they really better off than if they hadn't been challenged?

    There's also the issue of pain and suffering - struggle can be helpful where torture isn't. The same God in your analogies is allowing both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that people are handed a tough deal all the time and sometimes they hardly ever get a break. But should we just sit by and do absolutely nothing about it? No. So many people can get so dramatic about their life and the happening in it that they just assume that they are doomed for failure and no matter how hard they try things will never go their way. And yes, those people are never fun to be around. I agree that this challenges and struggles make us stronger and God is asking to lean on Him during these times. To trust him and lay all of us at his feet, but we are so afraid to do that and we hold on to so many things and continue to carry all this baggage with us cause of the lack of faith.

    Such as my struggle to find a job. It's not impossible, and some people are still looking. I could easily have given up and let my frustrations get the best of me or keep going, trust in the Lord and know that even in a sucky economy God has a plan for me and if I follow him He will direct me in the right path and lead me to where I'm supposed to be. I could easily say screw it and surf on someones couch forever or move back home. No thank you.

    We need to remember to thank God for everything in our lives. Even the crappy painful things. It breaks his heart to see us suffer and all he asks of us is to just love him and trust him and follow him. We do that for so many other things in our life but we can't seem to let down our fences and drop out the insignificant stuff and do it. Our suffering also comes from our own or lack of actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, let's thank God for everything. I like the part where God repeatedly allows babies and children to suffer and die all over the world. They're just dramatic about their lives, and they're not working hard enough to fix their problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post on suffering has made me think of one of my favorite verses: In A Letter to the Exiles, Jeremiah 29, the prophet Jeremiah repeats the word of God to the Israelites who have been sent into exile to give them hope during hard times, and he says in Jeremiah 29:10-14
    [This is what the Lord says "When Seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."]

    There are many other places throughout the bible as well where God talks to the people and asks them to rely on him and he constantly reminds us of his great ability to comfort us in distressing times.

    The question of suffering comes across everyone's mind, Christian and non-Christian but it is indeed very comforting to know that all I need to do during hard times is rely on God as my strong hold because He will make everything work for my good. Sometimes I feel like God is not always doing what;s best for me right now, i.e. "God, why did you let my parents get divorced and let our family fall apart?" or "God, why did you let me get in the car wreck with that drunk driver?" or "Why God? Why did you let my baby sister who was an innocent, 6 month old baby pass away?"

    These questions are very hard to ask and Christians have faith that God allows these things to happen in our lives because they work towards a greater purpose. I have no idea what that greater purpose is and I can't even begin to imagine God's justification for why horrible things happen on Earth, but I only see what is in front of me, what has happened and what is happening right now in my life and the lives of those around me. Because God sees everything, separate from the world, he sees the big picture, and that is what gives me hope that the things I go through in my life, the things I suffer, are all for a purpose, one which I will know at the end of my life when I get to Heaven. Everything will be perfect and I'll look back on it all and say, "huh, so that's what you were doing" and then I'll move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sins of the world man. God is not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooo super nanny is on? Don't tease my like that chris... i enjoy a good potato chip, or crisp as our English cousins might say..... but yea life is pain, there is no meaning. :-p

    Nihilism is about as useful as any opposite or extreme can be. They give us vantage. I generally agree with you, the only thing i contend is that nothing can be something all the time, except for that last statement... wait, what was i saying? Thought i heard super nanny in the background again, damn that show. :-p

    Iunno man I just like to try and do whats good for mister me. Cuz i aint gunna be able to change no body by talkin at em if their heart is set in stone... the words written on that heart are what they have latched onto to help them get by. Including me.

    We are like muscles & bones, yea, but we aren't muscles & bones. It's only one part of the greater whole, cuz we are also like water, or like stars, or like marshmallows in some cases, the analogies of life are many and its where i suppose i do think one nihilist was right, human drama unfolds out of the pervasive nature to seek out our more mild forms of destruction to then rebuild ourselves taking in what we have experienced.

    look at me ramble on and on it's as if i have something to say. lol



    well for those of the more biblical perspective I trust you to know this...

    2 Corinthians 3
    1ARE WE starting to commend ourselves again? Or we do not, like some [false teachers], need written credentials or letters of recommendation to you or from you, [do we]?

    2[No] you yourselves are our letter of recommendation (our credentials), written in [a]your hearts, to be known (perceived, recognized) and read by everybody.

    3You show and make obvious that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, not written with ink but with [the] Spirit of [the] living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

    Even the mighty bibbly says to not hold ourselves absolutely on scripture nor any virtues written in stone, but by action (of God) and it's effect on others.

    Semper liberate spiritus.
    :--p
    Now that was some funky-chicken.


    Word :-p

    ReplyDelete