Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jesus and my kitty

Jesus is someone I don't know personally.  And I'm not going to get to know him just because everyone around me tells me I should.  I know a lot about his life and his teachings, which I can respect.  However I must admit that all of my experiences and opinions about Jesus are based off hearsay: lots of time in Catholic churches (which gave my knees quite a workout let me tell you), oodles of small discussion groups, and countless praise-and-worship songs. Which reminds me, people who write praise-and-worship music need to start a global consortium of some kind and learn some new chords, because they all only seem to know the same three or four. Anyway, I digress. 

Per a recommendation from someone in my life that I both care for greatly and highly respect, I started reading the book of John last night. It was the first time in my life that I sat by myself, held a bible in my hands, and read from it.  A notable experience in my life, considering all the racket in my head about religion that's been going on for so many years. I was rather tired when I started last night, and didn't get through much because fatigue forced me to either: A) go to sleep, or B) keep re-reading the same passage with the old paralyzed man at the pool over and over again and not comprehend any of it.

I must say it's not the lavish narrative that I thought it might be. I mean I know it's not supposed to be Hollywood or Steven Spielberg or anything. Which maybe makes me a little spoiled because that's what I'm used to story-telling being like. This just seemed a little dry and simple and short. I felt like I was reading a text book. I was hoping for more dialogue, more details about what Jesus said to people, more of a picture of the miracles he performed. All the things he said seemed like he was reciting lines he read out of a script, rather than the profound words of the Son of God. John, the author of this book, was there as an eyewitness right? You figure events and people this extraordinary would be accompanied by rich and colorful details. I mean even 30 years later when one sat and collected their memoirs, the remarkable things said to have happened in this book would seem just like yesterday. But with each short and succinct episode of Jesus' life being told to me – the woman at the well, the clearing of the temple, etc – at times I felt like I was reading a picture book, without the pictures. But is that the point – if this isn't fiction, if it's supposed to be simple enough to just get the point across, do we need all the lush environment and atmosphere of modern storytelling? 

And though I haven't read much of Jesus' life or teachings yet, since I just barely began the book, I haven't yet sensed the love that Jesus has for humanity. So far, he just seems rather annoyed with people and their silly questions. I almost laughed when he said "Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders, you will never believe." I picture him rolling his eyes and chuckling to himself with every conversation he has with people. Even when he speaks of the eternal spring inside you after you drink his living water, and being reborn of the spirit, he just seems a tad... condescending.

Wrestling with this demeanor that I'm picturing Jesus to have, I tried to compare it to something I can relate to.  I came up with this analogy: I have a cute little kitty named Raisin.  I love her very much, and I do my best to provide the best things for her and to make sure she knows she's loved. But I can't imagine the laughable task of explaining to Raisin how much I love her, and how she doesn't have to worry about anything in my care. However she pretty much only cares about herself. Sure she loves me and comes to cuddle and be a cute lap cat when it's convenient for her. And oh she certainly comes to me when she wants something – food, to be let outside, whatever. I do my best to give her everything she needs, even when she doesn't ask for them. But she's never truly appreciative, she will never be able to understand the way that I care about her. For to me spend great effort trying to explain myself to Raisin would drive me insane.  But I would still love her in the end, and she would always have a home in my home – whether she believed me or understood me or not.  

Does this make sense to anyone?

8 comments:

  1. Makes sense to me. You're an amazingly more complex "higher life form" than Raisin, and although she doesn't have the capacity to understand how much you love he, you always will, right?

    Additionally 1: What translation of the Bible are you reading?
    Additionally 2: Raisin is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't send Raisin to kitty hell for not believing that you love him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes this makes sense and there are componenents to this analogy that i believe apply. however, when you talk about a kitty, you're talking about a mammal without much brain power (compared to us, of course). humans have the ability to think critically and question who the "caregiver" is. i think once we do think of whom this "caregiver" is, and get to know "him" more, we can become appreciative. we not only come to Him (yes i've changed subjects now) for/with our needs, i feel we come to him also b/c he first loved us. John 4:19 it is impossible to completely understand how much God loves us and the analogy with Raisin is a great one. I like how it paints a picture of the caregiver having more knowledge than the kitty can even imagine (the kitty can't exactly imagine...but lets run with it) the caregiver is beyond all understanding in the kitty's world. i think that's great. I believe God knows our inability to understand and yet He still shows us love in ways we do understand. Just like you feeding and taking care of your kitty.

    i encourage you to keep reading the Bible, it is very interesting. the more you read it and the more knowledge you attain of that era and orininal language the scriptures become so much deeper and vivid. each book has a uniqueness and how it all ties together is absolutely fascinating.

    i encourage you to check out this sunday's podcast at my church. it broke down a simple parable about the good samaritan and added background that completely changed my understanding of said parable. if you're interested go to www.rockharbor.org and on the upper right hand corner is the podcast play button. enjoy :-)

    feel free to email me or facebook me for further discussion. enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have read this before you came! I love it! so instead of a long paragraph I will talk to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written. And fun. I used to be in a discussion group about the book of Mark (because yeah I like the name). The idea was that it was for anyone who could talk about stuff leaving out as much religious culture as possible.

    One of the guys was an older gentleman without much in the way of faith - just a catholic background that he didn't think much about. As we read through some of those passages where Jesus interacts with peopele his comment was that Jesus seemed "pissy, like it was his time of the month". I always loved that because it never occured to me to it that way.

    The book of Mark has even less flourish than John. But it has one huge clear point if you read it in one setting and pay attention. The first 8 chapters are all about asking "Who is Jesus?" and its entirely answered by what he did and then Peter's declaration. The second 8 chapters (not including the bit at the end clearly written by someone else) are about why Jesus came. Through out the book anytime anyone tried to make a public announcement Jesus shushed them. So the first public announcement is made by a Roman. The Roman watched Jesus die and somehow declared "This is God." The entire message of the second part of the book is that Jesus came to die. Why is another question. :)

    But that older gentleman I mentioned died a few months ago of a several year bout with cancer. Somewhere between that study of Mark and the day he died he acquired a practical real experience with God that turned into a faith that humbled me. I have prayed for people and seen miracles. His death hurt me because if there is anyone I have every prayed for I would have given a miracle to it would have been him. But a long process of dying didn't hurt his faith at all. There is something really important there. But its still too fresh and deep for me to want to limit with an object lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How far did you get? In John I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I wrote this I had only gotten to like chapter 5 or 6. Last night I read several more, though I forget where I left off. Still get the same general feeling that Jesus is pissed and frustrated with most people, especially since he keeps answering the same questions over and over again, usually preceded by a remark like "Didn't you hear what I just said?" or "Didn't you see [some miracle] that I just did?" But I guess in a position like that, one could become quite frustrated indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. C.S. Lewis famously said that Jesus was either a lunatic, a liar or Lord. That it's impossible to fit him with the good-guy-talented-teacher-lovey-hippy-peacenik if we really investigate the things he said and did.

    By the way, if you keep reading through the New Testament, you'll probably be surprised at how many douchebags there are in the early Christian church. The apostle Paul, for example, constantly says these incredibly brilliant things, usually condescending like a prick as he does.

    I've lived with the Bible my whole life and it still surprises me.

    ReplyDelete