Thursday, February 25, 2010

A human's desire for community

nify little chartI think it is a natural and healthy thing for people to want to be around other people. Maybe it stems from the early development of our species, when we had greater chances of survival as individuals if we stuck together with others — through sharing resources and food, protection from predators, etc. Some would say that a community is truly where we belong because that is where God is present — in people caring for each other and sharing things. Either way, I think a lot about how the number of people around you can drastically affect one's tendency to feel belonged or anonymous. To illustrate, I drew this nifty little chart.

Now this comes from my own experiences, but I think I may share these sentiments with a number of people.  When completely alone for great lengths of time, unhealthy things start to happen to people. It's hard to experience true joy without anyone to share it with. And I think in general the soul gets a bit dried out. Now don't get me wrong, everyone needs a plenty of "me" time to recharge, reflect, study, ponder, whatever; and as an artist and musician I require and enjoy time alone to practice my disciplines. But too much time alone and you start to sort of lose a sense of yourself. You ever try playing a game of catch by yourself? Boy there's a sad game if I ever saw one. The world exists without you; you're just an observer with no voice of your own to offer. You think of fulfilling your own immediate needs and really nothing else.  And you probably end up watching way to much reality TV, which is really no good for anybody.

And this excessive time alone doesn't have to be just cooped up in an apartment like some old hermit. At the other end of the spectrum, I think bouts of loneliness are felt more keenly when surrounded by throngs of people whom you have no interaction with. People-watching is fun, but I think everyone hopes that eventually someone will look back and notice that you're there. Or it's like being stuck in traffic.  You're in your own little bubble of steel and glass and upholstery, inching down a choked river of thousands of other human beings with whom you will never share one single glance, except for the occasional middle finger. It is not a wonderful feeling to say the least.

But enter one other person who says, "Hey you, there you are."  Bam. Someone to engage in conversation with, to cook or share a meal with, to people-watch with. Someone to throw the ball back to you. The beginnings of a sense of community, of souls interacting and feeding each other. Douglas Adams said in one of his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, "How do you know you're having fun if no one's watching you have it?" It's the best friend who goes on every adventure with you and shares your inside jokes. It's the girlfriend or boyfriend or husband or wife with whom you look forward to sharing so many otherwise insignificant moments. I mean sunsets can be breathtaking, but how much more enjoyable can it be when you have someone to turn to and say "Holy crap look at that, isn't that amazing." That one person in your life can change you from a mumbling, disheveled hermit to a ray of sunshine in an instant.

I think that's why old people will talk your freakin' ear off if you give them the slightest time of day — because they just want someone to talk to, they're tired of listening to themselves grumble on about their hemorrhoids and how back in their day people actually mailed letters to each other instead of this silly interwebs business that us kids have today.

Enter more people and the community grows and the feeling of belonging remains. I think a small party at someone's house with 10 or 15 people is way more fun and engaging than a raging kegger with 100 people you've never met. Hence my next point — the more people that are introduced into the picture, the more distant the community becomes at that critically personal level. Until ultimately we are a New Yorker crammed into a subway station, standing not but an inch from 1000 people in any direction, and not looking a single one of them in the eye.

My friend Michael was telling me about how when he's a part of a small church, it's so much more connected and fun, and everyone knows each other and it's alive and teeming with fellowship. But comes the mega-church: 10,000 people you've never had a single conversation with, and suddenly you're looking for another small church to connect with.

Anyway that's it.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a genuine observation that many people make especially when they go through periods of religious investigation. I have discovered that in order to feel my closest to God that I need accountability, which means I need Christian fellowship. When I first looked into Christianity as a whole I started at a church of about 500 college students that was simply convenient to get to on Sunday mornings. That year I didn't feel that I grew a lot in my beliefs, I simply came to church on Sunday with my friends and I learned a lot about what the bible said and how my pastors interpreted the meaning of the passages.

    When I came back to school the second year I decided to get involved with one of the bible studies, simply to meet more friends and feel more connected to the church. It was amazing how much more connected I felt to the entire church body once I started going to the weekly bible studies. Being a church goer and bible studier became part of my identity rather than simply my activities. I have also noticed a trend with myself that when I go home (where I previously did not have an established church since my college church is my home church) I used to feel less connected to God because I was not surrounded by a supportive group to help me along in my faith. Without the support I made a lot of decisions that summer that do not reflect who I am today, and who I thought I was at the time.

    It's amazing what being in a different environment will do to you spiritually. Thankfully, God is ever faithful and He has forgiven me and taken me back after I strayed away from Him for a little while. Essentially I was able to get over the inertia required to find a second church/supportive fellowship group at home by the end of the summer so that next time I go home I will be able to surround myself with people who will support me in my faith. If there is one thing that I have learned from reading His word regarding companionship and fellowship it is this:

    Proverbs 27:17 says “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” – NIV
    Essentially I believe that God created mankind as social beings in order to become closer to Him. Fellowship is one of the tools that sharpens our souls into a soul that allows us to have a closer relationship to God, which is what he desires for all of mankind.

    Along with that thought I feel that I must not only be in fellowship with my brothers and sisters but that I must love all people (this is a pretty big topic so I will only go into it briefly)

    1 John 4:7 – 21 describes God’s Love and why it is so important to Love other people. It is one of my favorite passages in the New testament because it stresses the magnitude of God’s Love and that because God is Love, we must live in love and love our neighbors and all of mankind in order to truly Love God.

    To wrap up my thoughts I have come to the realization that by engaging in fellowship and by loving all people I can feel my closest to God which ultimately transcends into all areas of my life, increasing my happiness and overall well-being.

    Thank you for posting this and I encourage you to keep reading and thinking these excellent thoughts!

    ReplyDelete