Thursday, June 16, 2011

Prayers on deaf ears

Recently a close friend of mine was experiencing a matter of life and death. The suddenness by which it appeared to her and her family was only equaled by its potential for utter heartbreak. However a strange side effect happened to me that I wasn’t expecting. Someone came to me and asked that I pray for her about this situation, and since they know that I’ve been going to church weekly, they asked that I tell other people and ask them to pray about it too. It was a very dire request, and it took me off guard. This person said, very sincerely, to please ask as many people as I could to pray for our friend and her family. Which got me thinking very hard about prayer. And needless to say, I’m confused.

It’s been told to me many times that God has a plan for all of us, for the earth, for the entire universe. If this is true, then we are silly indeed if we think we can change this plan – or even more audaciously, if we think we can ask God to change his plan for us measly humans. And to me, every time I hear someone praying for something, they’re asking for something they want to happen. It’s not necessarily a selfish request; in this case, people were praying for my friend and her family to avoid deathly catastrophe. But every time, a prayer is us asking God, “Please, let this happen.” Now correct me if I’m wrong, but God already knows whether he’s going to allow someone to die or not, since we’re all living out his plan, right? So us asking him is rather futile, because whatever’s written in his plan is going to happen, no matter what. If the person lives, God didn’t really answer anybody’s prayer, because he already planned on letting that person live. And if the person dies, God didn’t ignore anyone’s prayer, because he planned on killing that person anyway. It’s almost like the prayer falls on deaf ears, because why should God care what we want, he’s the big boss with the all-knowing reasons behind everything, why on earth should he change his grand plan just because we ask him to?

And it also seems to be the belief among all peoples of faith that the sheer number of people praying for one specific thing will effect how God will answer. I think it’s already apparent that God’s going to follow his plan no matter what. So whether it’s one person or 10 million, if God wants that person to kick the bucket, there ain’t nothing we can do about it. If all 7 billion humans on earth prayed every day for 10 years for an amputee to suddenly sprout a new leg on their own, it would still never happen. And that’s a lot of prayer power right there.

If a person dies, people quickly forget that God completely ignored their earnest requests for keeping this person alive and healthy, because they immediately start praying for God to provide comfort to them and their family. When again, God already knows whether or not that’s going to happen. OR… if this person lives, people walk around wide-eyed and reverent, claiming that it was a miracle and a sign of God’s faith. God didn’t do anything different than what he already had planned, we’re just the ones going up in arms about it either way, as if we actually had something to do with it. We’re so freakin’ melodramatic.

What I’ve also been told is that God wants us to pray, because he wants us to attempt the communication with him. To keep up the personal relationship. If we were to hear God’s side of the conversation, it might be kind of heartbreakingly ironic: “Aww shucks guys, I really appreciate the communication. I still let them die anyway, but thanks for the effort!” That’s the cue for Buddy Christ to appear and give us all the thumbs up.

People's explanation for what prayer is seems to change to fit the situation. God answered your prayer because God is faithful and he answers prayers. Or he didn't answer your prayer because there must be a lesson you're supposed to learn. It's all part of God's grand plan, but let's ask for something else we want and hope God answers because he is faithful and he answers prayers. It seems strangely circular. And futile. And I don’t get it.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get it either. It's confusing. I asked someone the same question the other day and they said prayer is mainly to make us feel better during a difficult time. This was coming from my Christian therapist. It pisses me off quite frankly. But I still pray, I guess just in case. Who knows. And it does make me feel better. But I completely agree with all you wrote. It's all very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that the whole point is to just make you feel better. Aside from that, prayer doesn't accomplish a damn thing. It's safe to say that most people think God has a plan for everyone, and, like you said, our own wishes won't change that. By the same token, with free will and all, most people believe that God doesn't intervene. If that is true, then it really doesn't matter how much people pray because God just lets things be. So, if there is a God out there, prayer doesn't matter because we only do it for ourselves. It can only give folks peace of mind in that people feel that their request may have actually gone somewhere, even though it won't accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    My interpretation of God's plan for our lives is a bit different, which does allow for a different interpretation of prayer as well. My belief is that indeed God does have a plan for my life, and that he is also all knowing, thus he does know what the end results of our lives are before we do. BUT... While God has a plan for my life, I also have the freedom of making decisions for my own life. And in that case prayer is my link to God to try and get the best directions possible. It is our freedom of choice, our "free will" that God gave us, that is the reason we so desperately need prayer. It comes down to a free will vs predestination view of the situation. I am of the free will persuasion, and it seems you have more of a predestination point of view.

    In my view prayer is needed as that direct link that allows us to hopefully better understand God's plan for our life. I'll admit however, that part of your discussion of prayer hits home with me as well. Who am I to bring my requests to the Lord of all creation. But it says in the Bible (while I don't have the direct verses at my disposal currently) that we should bring all of our requests to the Lord, and he will answer them all. While not always the way we would like, but he will answer in His time. And thus again prayer is important in order to better receive His answers, and better understand the plan He has for our lives. In the situation of your friend we petition God to provide healing if it be His will. Should it not be His will, then hopefully our prayers will help us in a time of loss and grieving. In my beliefs, God does not go around "killing" people because it is part of his plan. It is sin (via our free will) that brought death into this world. So God is present in those moments at death, but not as the one doing the killing, but rather as a friend who goes to those who are suffering after a loss and trying to console and comfort them.

    I'm at work right now so I'm going to have to leave it at that, but maybe this perspective will help with your frustration a little. Feel free to get back to me on facebook or if you see me on the dance floor or whatever if you want to discuss it further.

    Jeremy Shively

    ReplyDelete
  4. God hates amputees, and NEVER answers their prayers.

    ReplyDelete